Monday, January 5, 2009

Dressmaking


My wonderfully talented seamstress of a mother came by today to help me make a dress for my daughter on the sewing machine she bought me for Christmas. My mom has been sewing her whole life. After high school she taught sewing in a class for shop flunkies called "sewing for bachelors" - that really made me laugh!
She used to make a great many of my clothes when I was young and I thought it was about time I picked up this valuable skill.
So I went down to Joann's about a week ago and picked up a pattern that the employee assured me would be quite easy. Ha! Not so much for someone who hasn't sewed since 7th grade. It's like learning a 2nd language. Luckily my mom was right there to show me where to pin and stitch (and use a seem ripper when I goofed up). I will confess she sewed in the zipper. I think it will take me quite a few dresses to learn that! All in all I think Zoe's little summer dress turned out really well. I made it a little roomy for her to grow into. I think it would look perfect with a flower crown and fairy wings. I'll have to figure out how to make those next.
However, I think my next sewing project will be an easier one!


My Mom



Taaaa daaa!

7 comments:

Danielle Barlow said...

That's so pretty!
You'll soon be whizzing up all sorts of stuff with your new machine - it's such fun!
I still shout for my mum if I get a particularly tricky bit of sewing. She has so much more patience than me - I just get cross if it goes wrong!

Cathy Santarsiero, "The Christmas Corgi" said...

Lovely!

Kathleen Coy said...

I haven't sewn in so long it would all be Greek to me...good thing you could call on mom!
That dress is adorable, btw!

jane augenstein said...

What a beautiful color for your little girl! Bravo, well done!!

Zan Asha said...

Pretty dress, pretty little girl! And how dear your mom is for helping. My mother is wonderful at that kind of stuff too...I just stare, both helpless and in awe, while she creates this stuff :)

Mikey said...

Awww, she is adorable! She and my Mercy could be twins!!

Julia Guthrie said...

Aww what a cute little pink princess she is!:)

I would LOVE to learn dressmaking & sewing properly....:)