Sunday, January 11, 2009

Oodles of Percherons



A gaggle of geese, a murder of crows, an oodle of Percherons. Well, maybe I just made the last one up!
We made it to the PA Farm Show today and it was insanely crowded. I am not much of a people person and it is so hard to get around with a 3 year old in tow. Top that with a husband that is not as enamored with farm animals as I am and you get a whirlwind tour of the show. Today I'll post some of the photos I took of the draft horses as they were about to enter the arena for the unicorn hitch class (2 in back, 1 in front). Couldn't really take any photos inside the arena, it's too dark and the horses are moving very fast. I'll post photos of some of the other critters tomorrow.
These horses are so gorgeous and I was surprised how geared up they were to go into the ring. One horse reared up and fell down on the pavement. You could almost feel the ground shake when they trotted past. My daughter loved the silver on the harness and the colorful ribbons in their manes and tails.
Let me know what photo is your favorite!

If you click on each photo you can see a larger view.











14 comments:

Sarah Sullivan said...

Thank you so for sharing! I do love a heavy horse. I think the first one is my favorite!! Beautiful lines!!

Kathleen Coy said...

They are so beautiful, I got chills just looking at the pictures...it must have been amazing to see in person!

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

Love photos 6 and 7! We do the unicorn hitch with the Friesians also. I have always loved draft horses!

Heart of a Cowgirl said...

I love the second pic, the close up of the black one. They are so enormous and beautiful, all of them! Our horses are pony sized compared to these!!

~M. said...

Counting from the top, just below the text, I particularly enjoyed the 2nd, 6th, and 9th photos. I wish I had the space, the time and the money to have some draft horses- they are so gorgeous!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

What a great time. Sorry you couldn't relax and just spend more time with the horses. That's how my family is, too, though they indulge me my animal time sometimes.

My favorite photo is the second from the top and I also like the photo take from above. Nice perspective.

I was surprised that their mains weren't completely braided into those ribbon things.
They were all so impressive, but the black horses were my favorite, followed by the dapple greys.

I bet you felt so small.

~Lisa
New Mexico

Jody Blue said...

Loved the photos thanks for sharing.

Danielle Barlow said...

These are wonderful! I especially like the 'aerial view' photo. I can sympathise with you, having to rush around with small person in tow!

Trailboss said...

WOW! Great great photos! There is no way I could pick just one for my favorite.

Rosanne said...

I would pick the third photo. I've always been partial to the dappled greys. The black harness and red ribbons are the icing on the cake! Great pics!

Linda said...

They're all beautiful, but the ones that show the braiding--very cool!

Anonymous said...

Love them all - just makes my heart race! We're doing Stock Show in CO in 2 weeks -- too bad you're not the photographer!!

jane augenstein said...

Beautiful pictures, I like one and two the best. Especially the first one, just gorgeous! There's just something about a black horse!!! Although I do love bays! :-)

Blackfeatherfarm said...

Beautiful ! Did you say pick a favorite - no can do... love them all ! My horse is a black draft cross, and I love all the breeds, but I do so love these big guys !