Friday, January 16, 2009

The passing of a great artist.

It is with tears in my eyes that I type that Andrew Wyeth has left this world early this morning. He was an amazing man and will be greatly missed by art lovers around the globe.
That's all I can write now.

"I prefer winter and fall, when you feel the bone structure of the landscape - the loneliness of it, the dead feeling of winter. Something waits beneath it, the whole story doesn't show."

"I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious."

"I'm a secretive bastard. I would never let anybody watch me painting... it would be like somebody watching you have sex - painting is that personal to me."

"I search for the realness, the real feeling of a subject, all the texture around it... I always want to see the third dimension of something... I want to come alive with the object."

"I think one's art goes as far and as deep as one's love goes. I see no reason for painting beyond that."


See you on the other side.

6 comments:

Kathleen Coy said...

A brilliant man. Imagine if the world never knew him... very sad news indeed.

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

Very sad indeed. A truly great artist.

Linda said...

I LOVE those quotes. I'm sorry to hear he passed.

Sarah Sullivan said...

I have always loved the saddness ibn his work - deepness to it- yet simple. I'm sorry to hear he has left us.

Christopher A. Klingler said...

Sad passing of a wonderful & treasured artisan.

Chris

Carolee said...

A very sad day. I was at the Brandywine only a few months ago, and saw Keurner farm. It was so amazing to see in person some of the scenes he painted so beautifully....

He will be sorely missed, but what a wonderful, full life he led, and what a rich legacy he left.

~ Carolee