Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Saucy

When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.
When your Mom gives your organic heirloom tomatoes, you make sauce.
So I'm at it again. The sauce is bubbling away on the stove as I speak. It's so yummy and super healthy I had to make a second batch!

My recipe...

Step 1. Aquire 20 + pounds of homegrown tomatoes. Store bought absolutely will not do!


Step 2. Cut a cross in each tomato and drop in boiling water for 60 seconds. This will enable you to easily peel the tomatoes and cut out the core.

Step 3. Throw peeled, squished tomatoes into the largest pot you own and toss in a green pepper, kosher salt, an onion or two, whatever herbs you like, a wee bit of sugar and some garlic.




Step 4. Cook on medium for several hours. Skim off any foam on the top and discard.

Step 5. Run ingredients through a food mill. This will get all the seeds out. I was lucky enough to be given a premo one from Italy. I LOVE it!

Step 6. Cook down on low/medium until desired consistency. I like to cook mine until around 8pm.







Step 7. Cool and freeze. Save a little to enjoy for dinner tomorrow night:)


On a seperate note. I was abot to paint two things for ebay this weekend while my husband watched our daughter. A really cool Halloween vase and a horsey Halloween sign. They are both on ebay right now!
Thanks for reading - now go get some tomatoes while they are in season and make yourself some sauce. You will be glad you did when you're eating it over the winter!





6 comments:

Loves.Nature said...

Thanks for the recipe. I don't cook much, but I love recipes, go figure. I couldn't wait for you to post about your newest eBay listings, I saw them earlier and thought they were both awesome. The vase looks great, (even without a horse on it). Good luck to the bidders on that one, that would be so unique to display. And of course I love the new horse art. I like the tossed mane, it gives the horse a wild look for the spooky Halloween night. Carrots in the pumpkin, too cute!

Tina

Kristen Beason said...

Beautiful new pieces Jen! Your sauce looks yummy. Maybe I'll do spaghetti tonight...hmmmm???

Kristen

Carolee said...

Mmmmmmmm.....You forgot to mention homemade sauce is also great for entertaining; having your friends over to dinner and such. ;)

Love the new pieces!
~ Carolee
PS - What time should we be over? Hehe...

Linda said...

This is just making my mouth water, I just want to grab a bowl,butter some fresh bread and dip in.

Christopher A. Klingler said...

That sauce looks yummy & FAB new pieces Jen! :)

Have a great weekend.

Chris

Anonymous said...

Love your new lettering on your Fresian Halloween sign! -kat