Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Gardening Gene?

Is there a gardening gene? I'd like to think so. I got it from my Mom who got it from her father. I hope to pass my green thumb on to my own daughter because I think gardening is one of the most important things a child should learn that is not taught in school (in fact I strongly believe it should be taught in school - see Edible Schoolyard).

I didn't always like to garden. Growing up I was forced to pick beans, weed and shell peas. I would have rather been doing just about anything. I'm so glad now that my mother instilled in me a love and knowledge of gardening - and ecstatic that she gave me her old tiller!

We were over at my Mom and Stepfather's place last night for dinner. Everything we ate, except for steak, was fresh from the garden - zucchini, red & blue new potatoes, string beans, carrots, tomatoes. Most of the veggies she grilled which really brought out their natural sugars.
Here are some photos their garden. It's HUGE over 3 acres. They sell a lot of their fresh, organic produce to restaurants in the West Chester, PA area. Of course family and friends are welcome to take all they can eat for free:)


Rows of heirloom tomatoes as far as the eye can see!


Sunflowers for beauty and to attract pollinators.


My niece and brother-in-law picking beans to take home.


Would you look at those gorgeous carrots!


Zoe and her cousin, Ethan, catching up to us. After dinner we always have to take a walk in the garden to see what's growing and pick what we want to take home.


Even my Mom's old dog Uno eats her veggies. Here she is getting a string bean!

11 comments:

Heart of a Cowgirl said...

OH my gosh! I am green (pun intended) with envy! That is an awesome garden. And those carrots ~~ my bunnies would be in heaven!

Bonnie Story said...

Paradise Found! The long straight carrots speak of great soil. It's so very rocky here that most carrots turn out contorted (hard to clean!) but yummy anyway. What a cute dog, Uno looks just like a Pug/Chi/Jack Russell that I very nearly adopted before we moved. What lovely pictures and thanks for sharing them! I have to go eat lunch now! Smiles, Bonnie

Kathleen Coy said...

OMG Jen, that garden is amazing!!! 3 acres??? Do they do all the work themselves, or do they hire help?

Jennifer Rose said...

I would kill for that much space to garden in! lol ;) I'm hoping we get carrots this year, last year they were pretty small, about 2 inches long lol

Paint Girl said...

Lovely garden! We have been talking for years about putting one in. All we grow right now are tomato's. Someday!
I grew up with a very large garden, and loved it!

photogchic said...

3 acres of garden! Wow..lovely.

Cheryl Kugler, Artist said...

Love the trellis for the heirlooom tomatoes. And, the bright sunflowers always bring a smile.
Cheryl
www.cherylkugler.com

Angie @ thejunkranch said...

Not only a nice big garden...it's beautiful! My vegetable garden is not so well groomed...I'm always watching for snakes. Cute pic of the dog. Our puppy eats the green beans too.

Joanne Olivieri said...

Fantastic photos. I wish I had a green thumb but I don't so I always admire people who do.

Meghann said...

How delightful! I am in serious garden envy right now - mine has many more weeds than I would ever care to admit or show, lol.

Kristen Beason said...

Most definitely on the garden gene! Great photos!

Kristen