Sunday, July 11, 2010

Assateague Adventure


While in Ocean City, MD this week, we went on the Assateague Adventure tour. I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting the area, especially with kids. Here's a little sampling of what we saw...

Great views of the waterways around OC.

Multi-million dollar vacation homes. I could easily retire here!
We learned about all the different types of seafood each boat catches.
Two huge boats catch most of the clams for Campbell's clam chowder.
We were able to get off the boat on Assateague to look for animals.
Given nets to catch small fish and crabs.
On board the children were handed sea creatures to take around to show the adults.
Zoe loved this starfish.
We were lucky enough to spot some beautiful wild ponies.
Love the reflection!
I may have to break out the oils and make a painting.
Looks like the life, doesn't it?

 
Farewell to the setting sun.

“The Sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.”
--Jacques Cousteau

10 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

gorgeous pictures :) wouldn't mind living in that home either!

Theresa MacNaughton said...

That looks like such an amazing place! That photo of your daughter with the fishing net is beautiful - the composition is amazing. I'll have to keep this place in mind for a visit. Thanks for sharing! Theresa

De la Renaissance said...

Gorgeous photos Jen! What a beautiful area! Love the shots of the ponies and fishing boats!

Crystal Cook said...

Gorgeous photos! It looks like such a fun time :) I'm sure your daughter loved it!

I always get sentimental whenever I hear about Assateague or Chincoteague. I swear I read Misty of Chincoteague a hundred times when I was a kid. Actually I think I just read it a few years ago too!

Love the shot of the ponies:)

Kath said...

The ponies look very at home in their wet environment, rather like on the Camargue.If you do decide to paint them, I should like to see what you create.

Unknown said...

Looks like a beautiful place. LOVE the Horseshoe crabs! How lucky you were to see these ancient creatures! :-)
~ Deb

Jeni said...

Wow love that home!!! The ponies are adorable and look really healthy!

Glad you're having a wonderful time.

Meghann said...

Wow, thank you so much for sharing! My mouth dropped open at the starfish - I don't know why, but I never thought you could hold them! SO COOL!
The photos are definitely worth painting I think :)

Cat (darklingwoods) said...

Oh beautiful! thank you for sharing :)

Danni said...

Assateague is a truly magical and beautiful place. My husband and I camped there during our honeymoon and were able to see the wild ponies on the beach and playing in the surf. I'd love to go back someday and do the tour you guys did, it looks like it was a lot of fun!