Saturday, January 22, 2011

Raptors, rivers and other things...

Zoo America in Hershey, PA is free this weekend and being a huge fan of all things free, we had to make the short trek to check out the animals indigenous to North America in the 19 degree weather.
They have a lot of raptors which are always fun to watch.

Red-tailed Hawk

Burrowing owl. Looks like I've surprised him!

One of my favorites, the barn owl.

I need to make a painting of this adorable little screech owl.

Lovely bobcats seemed very relaxed.

Beautiful bison digs the chilly temps.

Next we managed to access to the Susquehanna River in the small town of Bainbridge, PA.
We were down stream from Three Mile Island where the river was less frozen.




Something ominous about a nuclear power plant like TMI.







11 comments:

Linda said...

Hope you didn't drink the water. ;) That is ominous. But I love the raptors and cats and bison!! COOL!

Kat_RN said...

Great photos. Those owls are quite inspiring. We heard one last night. I am hoping he or she will settle in our barn as it is currently unocupied.
I also love the bobcats, they live wild near where I grew up.
Kat

Fantastyk Voyager said...

wow, great photos! Thanks for sharing.

Studio at the Farm said...

Great photos of the animals.

Sandy Sandy Art said...

Good to see someone is out braving the cold weather. As always, great pics and interesting commentary Jen.
I too heard a Great Horned Owl in my yard last night. I think it might be mating season for them. And I agree - TMI does look foreboding for sure. :-(

Anonymous said...

That looks like a lovely outing on a freezing day! You are brave to head out in the cold like that!

TARYTERRE said...

Enjoyed all the photos, especially the bobcat picture. Looks so much like my kitties, I was surprised.

Theresa MacNaughton said...

Oh what beautiful photos! You know I love that barn owl - and that adorable screech owl. Thanks for sharing - if there were a place like this nearby I'd come out of hibernation from the cold and visit, too! Theresa

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

OMG! Love the raptors, especially the first one!

Dom said...

Beautiful birds.

And there is something so very intriguing about Three Mile Island.

Jessie said...

Oh, I love those barn owls, too. I haven't heard one around my house for a few months now and I miss them. Hopefully they'll be back some day....